Iron Sky page removed by Facebook.

February 2nd, 2010 by Jarmo Puskala

Facebook's only warning

So, it seems that Facebook is afraid of Moon Nazis. This morning we got a rude surprise: Facebook has removed the Iron Sky fan page, citing terms of use on hateful content.

Now, if you’re one of the over 6,000 fans you’d know that there was absolutely no hateful content on the page. Certainly no racism or advocation of any hateful politics. Instead we reported about the making of the film and talked everyday things with our fans, like asking recommendations of great music to listen at the office.

We don’t know what exactly happened, but it is quite clear to us that removing the Iron Sky page is a mistake, and one that we hope Facebook will fix soon. We have contacted them trough the only means possible – that is trough the help center email – but have yet to receive any kind of answer.

Now, if Facebook really claims that the sole mention of nazis as a part of a film’s plot is “hateful”, they are essentially banning any mentions of films such as Indiana Jones, Blues Brother or The Sound of Music – they have nazis too!

This thought is worrying on many levels. For example, what kind of a message does this kind of summary execution of profiles send to businesses considering if they should take the leap to social media?

This is a big thing for us since Facebook is a big part of our social media presence. If you want the officially official statement, read our press release.

Our fans have already set up a group “We want Iron Sky back!” that’s had almost 300 people join in just a couple of hours. We appreciate your support a lot, thank you!

edit: We got the page back, but not much in the way of an explanation.

Tags:

8 Responses to “Iron Sky page removed by Facebook.”

1. IngoZ says:

Still wondering why “Inglourious Basterds” ist still up and running…?!?

2. Angela says:

It’s really sad to see how a harmless movie production can be harmed without warning while there are certainly hundreds of other pages out there that should be removed due to inappropriate content. Really hope this can be sorted out somehow!

3. LAKU says:

Fascismbook strikes again.

4. adlerweb says:

Welcome to the world of censorbook

5. 602 people as of now.

I have to wonder who complained, and why did they complain? Over the last six months I’ve noticed and documented several actions by the MPAA/RIAA members which in my mind are anti-competitive. I have to wonder if that’s what we are seeing here, or if it was a knee-jerk reaction by someone who didn’t read the page, just saw ‘Nazis’ and threw a fit.

6. DK says:

If mention of Nazi is not allowed on Facebook, then why is Der Untergang still there?

7. Andrea says:

This is nuts.

What the hell could have been on the ironsky facebook page, that would be offensive?

Everything I have seen on that facebook page has generally been funny.

I love the idea behind the film as it will take the complete piss of the nazi’s.

Or does facebook have an issue with someone taking the complete piss out of the nazi’s as Ironsky most definately will do?

Both my mother and father’s families have war dead from WW2. When I told them of the idea of Iron SKy my parents laughed. If my parents had a problem with Ironsky, I would not be supporting Ironsky or have joined the facebook page as a fan.

I am glad to see people from different European countries co-operating across borders. That sort of co-operation can only be a good thing.

There may have been a complaint from some sort of right wing nut job to facebook. It will be interesting to find out exactly why this has happened to Ironsky.

On the subject of films. I watched the new star trek film on bluray recently. The bit where they have the enterprise on theground being built reminds me a lot of Starwreck:)

Andrea

8. [...] and security. Or their bullish ways of doing, well, pretty much everything. Not to mention the time they removed our page for alleged hate speech, even though we did get it [...]