Iron Sky Goes Australia – Stunts, Studios and Special Effects

June 14th, 2010 by Timo Vuorensola

The new director’s diary is out – this time it’s about stealing internet and cooking breakfast.

Most of Saturday went to talking with our stunts and special effects co-ordinators. Yes, at this stage 90% of filmmaking is sitting in meetings. Handling stunts in a correct way is very important, though. Back in the fuzzy Ozploitation days in the 70′s, the life of an actor on set was hanging by a thread. During that time, many filmmakers got injured and even died because of neglected safety instructions. So, not surprisingly, the regulations are nowadays much more strict. This reflects especially to the actors and stunts – basically, an actor can’t do anything that could be even potentially harmful on the set. Meaning: fake-punch in the face – stunt. Falling down on the floor on your ass – stunt. Running in the forest – stunt.

But it does make sense; if anything was to happen, even something as small as spraining an ankle, there’d be nobody to shoot then during that day. Or the whole week. And that’s when it starts to get really expensive…

Stunts and Effects Meeting

A meeting with our stunts and special effects co-ordinators in our Australian producers' beautiful house slash home office.

But this is all small stuff, because then there are the real stunt maneuvers, which we have plenty in the film. We have some quite complicated action sequences, and we’re playing around with the gravity quite a lot; surface of the Moon has 1/6th gravity, and space, of course, zero. There’s anti-gravity generators being turned on and off, people floating around and so on.

We had a very interesting meeting with our Australian stunt coordinator (who, by the way, looks *exactly* like Sean Penn…) where we were planning quite a lot of these effects. Most of the Nazi troopers can be played by stunt people, since they have their masks on, as you’ve seen in the teasers, so we don’t have to spend too much time training them how harnesses and wiring works: and yeah, jumping several meters while dangling on harnesses takes some skill and practice.

Nazi Moon Base Blueprints

Floor plans of the Nazi moon base, or at least a part of it.

Actually, here’s something you can be helpful with – I need a good reference library of films that have zero-G or Moon gravity effects. If something pops to your mind, share it with me – I need to get hold of those films and start doing a bit of research. I’m especially interested to see how hair is done in films in zero-G. Our main character, Renate, has a long blonde hair, and we would need to understand how that works in a zero gravity environment, and how to fake that.

Other than discussing the stunts, we re-visited the studios. It was nice to walk in the huge halls, around the massive set pieces of the new Narnia film that was shot there, and imagine that in few months the sets of my film will be populating the lot. I also learned that we’re shooting Iron Sky most probably during the same time as one of my all-time favorite directors is shooting in the studio across the yard… More on that later.

At the Sound Stage

These studios are big. The joke is that we'll need at least two. Now you may start to see where all those 6.5 million euros are going to go.

(You can find more photos in our Flickr)

I’m starting to like it here in the Down Under. A funny moment I found myself yesterday evening in was that I was sitting by a very traditional Finnish wooden table, just fresh out of Sauna, sipping coffee from a Moomin mug, listening to Irwin Goodman and discussing the differences between Turku and Tampere… And all this in Australia. Bunch of our producer Tero’s friends live here in Brisbane and we visited them. It’s good to know there’s also a Finnish sanctuary available whenever one gets too homesick here on the other side of the world.

I’ve been sleeping very badly lately. I managed to completely wreck my rhythm with the jetlag, and I’m basically falling to sleep around two in the morning, but jumping up at five not being able to sleep anymore. So most of the day goes by in a strange, fuzzy numbness, until in the evening I finally perk up…

I need to do something about this jetlag. Any suggestions?

35 Responses to “Iron Sky Goes Australia – Stunts, Studios and Special Effects”

1. Sami says:

Not much help for the zero gravity hair situation but some:

“In zero gravity, long hair should be held in place by a cap, clip, or a ribbon. Otherwise it will go all over the place!”, from http://library.thinkquest.org/J0112388/gravity.htm

2. Olli Vainio says:

Zero G is “easy”. Just do it like they did on Apollo 13, rent a Vomit Comet(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vomit_Comet), build a set in it and shoot. ;)

3. GG says:

Films:
    -2001: A Space Odyssey
    -Apollo 13
    -Barbarella http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecQaPNDUEZk :)

Washing hair in zero gravity:

Plus maybe other documentaries on space stations.. Or you could just put her hair in ponytail or bun. ;) Just joking. :)

4. Or perhaps you guys could contact Richard Branson about the possibility of getting some quality filming time on Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo. :-)

5. Mikko says:

I would definitely recommend going through Apollo 13 for ideas on how zero gravity works.

6. King10 says:

Youtube can be very helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK6sYih6vfI

There’s footage from Nasa experiments/training in Vomit Comet provided zero gravity. You can observe the hair too. (Though the female trainees seem to have tied their hair on this occation.) Also some shots how liquid and soap bubbles behave in a zero gravity vacuum(?).

7. About the jetlag: Grab some Melatonin from the local pharmacy or natural supliments store. Then take 1,5-3mg when you want to sleep.

It’s the stuff that makes your body decide “blimey, it’s late, better get some sleep”. So it should help with getting to sleep and sleeping a bit better.

8. RPG says:

From The Earth To The Moon series has some nice footage.
    Speacially on the moon surface shots.

Apollo 13 is fine source and it used Vomit Comet quite much but actors also faked zero-g by moving themselfes front of the camera. BTW Apollo 13 blu-ray has just been released.

9. Tuomma says:

Good stuff getting rid of the jet lag is a drug called Atarax that is mainly used for allergy like “heinänuha” etc. It is on a prescription in Finland but freely available in most of the countries. The drug itself is harmless (and doesn’t help too much on the allergy) but I love the side effect of a relaxed and comfortable feeling which makes you fall asleep pretty nice. And you get to sleep until you are awaken after 8-10 hours X)

I heard that they use Atarax in elderly home if the old people can’t get sleep.

Have fun and work hard!

10. DarkStar says:

I always thought the moon gravity effects (when outside Moonbase Alpha on the moon’s surface) were pretty good in the British show Space:1999 from 1975.

Cheers, and looking forward to seeing the finished film!

11. i7LZ says:

991868 183714I discovered your weblog web site on google and check several of your early posts. Continue to maintain up the really excellent operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading a lot more from you later on!? 423840

12. 479130 310633Hi! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a few months of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any methods to stop hackers? 766746

13. I want to experience zero gravity! lol

14. 529519 720929I adore your wp format, where did you get a hold of it? 111849

15. 569531 421305Hi, Thanks for your page. I discovered your page via Bing and hope you keep providing much more great articles. 190050

16. 56399 353060You can definitely see your expertise in the paintings you write. 803256

17. 771932 913454Conveyancing? [...]we like to honor other sites on the web, even if they aren?t related to us, by linking to them. Below are some sites worth checking out[...]? 294638

18. 305156 825586superb post. Ne?er knew this, appreciate it for letting me know. 802325

19. 295027 592484i enjoy action movies and my idol is none other than Gerard Butler. this guy actually rocks? 938208

20. 937091 741972It?s hard to search out knowledgeable individuals on this subject, but you sound like you realize what you?re speaking about! Thanks 448914

21. REI360 says:

81095 990206Highest quality fella toasts, or toasts. will most undoubtedly be given birth to product or service ? from the party therefore supposed to become surprising, humorous coupled with enlightening likewise. finest man speaches 460612

22. REI 360 says:

504161 711753You Lastly want the respect off your family and pals? 648088

23. 472489 177461I genuinely like your post. It is evident which you have a good deal expertise on this subject. Your points are effectively produced and relatable. Thanks for writing engaging and intriguing material. 870498

24. link says:

684764 688221I appreciated than you may be right now. 201412

25. Lee Harbert says:

586632 403687Real informative and wonderful anatomical structure of topic material , now that?s user pleasant (:. 68669

26. Somnapure says:

754677 637388hi, your internet site is genuinely very good. I truly do appreciate your give very good outcomes 317262

27. Test X180 says:

787548 706216This is the fitting blog for anybody who desires to discover out about this topic. You notice a great deal its almost onerous to argue with you (not that I truly would want?HaHa). You undoubtedly put a brand new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, merely fantastic! 825172

28. NutraClick says:

30939 155611Hello there, I discovered your weblog by way of Google at exactly the same time as seeking for a comparable subject, your internet site got here up, it seems to be wonderful. I?ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks. 729502

29. 653202 890397I just put the link of your blog on my Facebook Wall. extremely nice blog indeed.,?-?, 440337

30. 542124 829084How much of an appealing guide, keep on making better half 222910

31. Great info there, thanks!

32. Gamerloco says:

Hi,
    Thanks for sharing a very informative article. Very useful!
    Bye

33. Very informative article!!!