Director’s Diaries – Encore?

April 11th, 2011 by Timo Vuorensola

The post production process of Iron Sky is a tedious and detailed – and quite damn long. I’m involved as a director in every phase of the production, so for the next 7-8 months, I’ll be jumping between Germany, Slovenia, Australia and Finland and making sure the post production of Iron Sky goes smoothly. In addition to this, I’m attending to various seminars discussing film making and crowd sourcing and -funding. And to all these functionalities, I’m dragging my camera along, hoping to shed a bit of light into the post production process of a film to you.

But at the same time, I’m most interested to hear your thoughts on Director’s Diaries. Here’s a bunch of questions I’m hoping you’d have time to answer to – just as a comment down here – for me to know how to improve them.

1. Do you watch Director’s Diaries? If, why – and if not, why?
3. Which episode you think is the best?
4. Do you have topics you’d like me to discuss in Director’s Diaries?
6. What thoughts on the format and the quality? Is it good enough? Too long?

I’d really appreciate you’d take your time to drop a few words on these issues – just so that I know if there’d be something I could improve the diaries in the future.

12 Responses to “Director’s Diaries – Encore?”

1. Jalava says:

Any DD content so far has been better than most of the youtube cat videos, the opium of internet people. That means that you and me are winning!

As sneak peek member, I’d like to see more detailed DD extras just for SP people ;)

2. 1. I do watch the Director’s Diaries, I watch them to get an interesting insight into the world of film making. It’s not often you get that from the director himself.
    2. I like them the way they are now, they are both informative and entertaining. You have a perfect mixture going.
    3. I cannot, unfortunately, recall any single outstanding episode. They are all rather interesting in my eyes.
    4. I’d like to see more about what the different individual persons do, there is a lot of it now, but maybe even more in on some people at times.
    5. As said in 4., I’d like some insight into other people as well, but you, the director, is also a very important person in film making. So, maybe 70 % about you, and 30 % about others.
    6. As long as one can actually see and hear what is happening it’s good enough for me. And regarding the length, there hasn’t been a single video I found too long. There has been some I found a bit short, though. But if there isn’t more to say, there is no need in dragging the video.

Hope I was of some help!

3. Kim Viljanen says:

> 1. Do you watch Director’s Diaries? If, why – and if not, why?

Yes. It is interesting to get an inside view on this unique movie production and what Timo is doing.

> 2. Do you think Director’s Diaries should be more informative, or more entertaining?

Infotainment is the way to go = informative, but with some entertaining moments.

> 3. Which episode you think is the best?

I liked extremely much all videos from the on location shootings and the sound stage. But also visits to different departments of the movie production etc.

> 4. Do you have topics you’d like me to discuss in Director’s Diaries?

- what are the Iron Sky secrets?
    - how does the movie business work & your ideas on crowsourcing? how do you success in entertainment business?

> 5. Would you prefer to see quick, impromptu interviews, or do you prefer more the way it’s now – camera following the director.

I think a combination of these would be the best. The “following the director” creates the feeling, that the viewer gets into Timos brain, which is nice…

> 6. What thoughts on the format and the quality? Is it good enough? Too long?

Length, format good. Image quality could be better (to see more details), but its ok.

4. Sam says:

1. Do you watch Director’s Diaries? If, why – and if not, why?

- I watch them, because they give an interesting inside view on filmmaking.

- They are just fine as they are now.

3. Which episode you think is the best?

- Hard to choose one as a favourite. Some more serious ones are good, but I also like the ones with more humour.

4. Do you have topics you’d like me to discuss in Director’s Diaries?

- A bit closer look on the editing process would be interesting.

- Both are good.

6. What thoughts on the format and the quality? Is it good enough? Too long?

- It’s good enough and sometimes they are a bit too short, not a single diary has been too long.

5. Marshal says:

1. Do you watch Director’s Diaries? If, why – and if not, why?

Yes, I do. Most of the so called diaries other directors puts on web are mostly kind of “hey, look at us, we are still alive and you gonna love what we do here”. Your diaries are far more honest. It’s nice to see real problems, real solutions, real progress, real success.

They have to be both (and they pretty much are right now). Information without entertaiment are boring and entertaiment without information is empty.

3. Which episode you think is the best?

I can’t really tell. I take them as a one whole story :)

4. Do you have topics you’d like me to discuss in Director’s Diaries?

I would like to see more about CGI department and CGI developement.

Both :)

6. What thoughts on the format and the quality? Is it good enough? Too long?

Too short. Do more :D

6. Hi Timo,

thanks for bringing us the Director’s Diaries. As a blogger, I know it’s real work :).

And thanks for asking us, too, so here are my answers:

1. Yes, I do, all episodes. Keep ‘em coming!
    2. Both. Information is important, as it makes the process of creating Iron Sky tangible to fans, investors and the rest of the world. Entertainment is important, too, after all, what would an SF comedy be if its making of wasn’t entertaining? That said, the balance between information and entertainment you’ve struck so far is perfect, just continue to point your camera at cool stuff and talk to it!
    3. Of course the one where you let Frankfurt’s main street explode :).
    4. I’m interested in all aspects of the post-production process: Last minute tweaks to the plot to make it fit the material/constraints better, CGI design and production, audio design and production, etc. Also: How are the studios in Germany, Australia etc. involved after the shots?
    5. Whatever serendipity and opportunity throws at you. If you see something cool, point your camera at it. If it still turns out to be cool after you shot it, post it. If you talk to someone cool, ask for an interview. You can always throw away stuff that didn’t turn out good, but you can never travel back in time to make up for a lost opportunity…
    6. Just right so far.

Thanks, and looking forward to future DD episodes!

Constantin

7. Jaap says:

1. Of course I do, I wish more films would do this instead of the ”oooh it’s SOOOOOOOO amazing to work with *fill in a random Hollywood chap*
    2. As already been said, infortainment. In a sense of ”How does it happen?” Don’t show things simpler than they really are; if people have questions, they can ask them on this blog anyway. :P
    3. So many good episodes, after all it’s your big journey going for the first time through this multi-million industry with ups and downs. But I had a very good laugh when you said ”Today we’ll be doing one thing and one thing only: KILLING NAZIS!”:P
    4. All aspects of post production, from CGI to foley recording to color grading, don’t skip anything if you can.
    Maybe also some interesting facts on the business side of the movie?
    5. A variation of both. Keep it real and spontanious, see the camera as an extension of yourself when your want to tell your fans something.
    Planned interviews are more suitable for the IS Signals
    6. Too short sometimes, depending on the subject.
    Quality: Post the videos in HD and try to keep the camera a bit more steady if you can, maybe let another person film you when you give a tour or something.

Looking forward to another epsisode of Brigdet Jones’… eehhhhhh… Director’s Diary! :P
    P.S. When you’re in Amsterdam next week, make a nice report of the Imagine festival you’re speaking at!

8. Max says:

1. I am ashamed of this, but I only watch the DD issues that are published in this blog :( I don’t watch them regularly, cause I didn’t watch them from the beginning of this film making, and I really don’t have willpower to watch them all at once, and I can’t just hop in and start watching them from some point, it has to be the beginning!!!

5. Camera following the director is perfect! Don’t change this format :)

6. I agree with people above. The ones I’ve seen are definitely too short. Give us MOAR!

P.S. And publish them to the blog more often so people like would watch them more often :P

9. Jaap says:

Every single diary has been posted on this blog, so if you keep an eye on this blog, you won’t miss anything.

10. Max says:

… then you’ve saved me, and I am ashamed of nothing anymore!!! :)

11. Tuomas says:

1. Do you watch Director’s Diaries? If, why – and if not, why?

Yes. I watched them because they offered an unique almost real-time insight into what goes behind the scenes during the filming of a movie.

I personally think they could include more informative content, but they were by no means bad as they were. As a layman that finds film business interesting it was insightful to learn about some of the tricks of the trade.

3. Which episode you think is the best?

I don’t think any episode stood out since they were all rather good. I thought the episodes filmed in Australia and Germany both had their good sides.

4. Do you have topics you’d like me to discuss in Director’s Diaries?

More of the same: what goes into making a film.

I wouldn’t mind some interviews once in a while.

6. What thoughts on the format and the quality? Is it good enough? Too long?

I think the format and quality are superb. If anything, they are sometimes slightly too short. Of course reality dictates that a director needs to direct their film besides making the diaries, so it might not always be possible ;).

12. Aki says:

1. Do you watch Director’s Diaries? If, why – and if not, why?
    I do. I want to learn as much as I can about directing.

More informative.

3. Which episode you think is the best?
    Hard to say, all them are pretty good.

4. Do you have topics you’d like me to discuss in Director’s Diaries?
    Things like how did financiers etc. take your lack of experience in directing? And did you plan your cast based on who can get you distribution or was it even necessary considering that your concept is very marketable?

Camera following the director, definitely.

6. What thoughts on the format and the quality? Is it good enough? Too long?
    Too short. But otherwise it’s all fine.