Iron Sky Theatrical Trailer released!

February 8th, 2012 by Timo Vuorensola

Exactly one year ago we wrapped the Iron Sky principal photography in Gold Coast, Australia. It was a very hot day – like it always is, during February – and we had shot a very long day that had unfortunately extended beyond the agreed limits. It was Peta‘s (Sergeant – Vivian Wagner) birthday, or had been the day before, and we had celebrated that by shooting a full one third of the script in one day, all of which had been completely revised the night before. When I finally climbed on the bridge of the U.S. flagship and popped open a champagne bottle after the last shot had been shot, I felt exhausted.

But I had no idea of the year that was to follow. Endless hours sitting in edit, fretting about CGI, about money, about sound, about music… about everything that was to follow. I thought that the biggest job was over. Well, it wasn’t. Iron Sky is a film that shaped during the post production process probably much more than any film made in Finland ever has.

Now, after exactly one year of that day I was standing in front of the remaining cast and crew, and thanking them for the excellent work they had done, I’m happy to present you the official trailer for Iron Sky. Hope you enjoy it.

The concept of the trailer was to try to find the balance between story, action, comedy and drama – just like the film itself. It’s not always easy, since Iron Sky is not a “one-liner” -film, and the comedy relies in the overall work instead of endless row of ridiculous moments. I’m really happy with how the trailer turned out, and Laibach‘s music brings nice boost to it – they’ve composed every bit of the music in the trailer, and before you go all YouTube on me, the song in the end is B Machine from the album WAT, a cover of Siddharta’s original song.

Iron Sky is not a stranger when it comes teasing and trailing the audience. In 2008 we released our first teaser, rather a 2-minute demo of the look, feel and the basic concept than a proper teaser, since not one shot of the film was shot, and the script was still under construction big time.

Teaser 1 was very important for us, it immediately became a YouTube hit, and showed us that the concept and the look and the feel we are aiming for, interests people. The next year we cooked together a Motion Poster, because that was the hot shit in 2009 – nowadays, you don’t see them too much around, but we felt like we wanted to be ahead the curve. Motion Poster did it’s job, and was quite impressive although very simple, and accompanied with our newly-released second teaser poster took it’s rounds in the Internet.

During 2010 we decided that whatever happens, we need to get the damn cameras running, or we would be ridiculed out of the Internet, so we organized a shoot where we decided to shoot one scene of the film, and release in a teaser format. Although original idea was that we would use the material we shot and created for Teaser 2 in the film itself, it turned out that we never did. But it was important to get something out, and the assets we created for the teaser were revamped and used in one way or another later in the film itself.

We started shooting the film itself in late 2010, and finished early 2011. For Cannes (May 2011) we knew that we’d need to put together a new teaser, but now we had a good bunch of actual material we could actually show. We toyed around with several versions for trailer, and even released one version of the trailer for our Sneak Peek audience, which – to our luck – shot it down immediately as too silly, too revealing and just too… not-cool. They were right. So we trashed it, and made a completely new thing, the third teaser, the one with the harrowing “We Come In Peace” -shout and slogan in the end, courtesy of Tero Kaukomaa, who had the idea that it would become a great slogan. It did, and the teaser was really cool, with loads of Udo Kier muttering about Meteorblitzkrieg. It was quite an artsy one, but worked well for us.

Now, as the film is ready, and the actual trailer is out, we’ve gone a full circle. We decided to use the B Machine song again (we already did in Teaser 2) because the lyrics and the style just fits perfectly to the world of Iron Sky, and it’s an awesome, awesome song.

Our aim is to get this trailer out there, and really go and compete our cousins in Hollywood with 10-20 times our budgets. So whatever you think of the trailer, please spread it! Let’s get million views on the trailer before anyone can even realize it’s out there, and from there we’ll march past Battleships and other Scifi megabudgets that are heading our way!

Fight the Goliath, Spread The Word! Let us rule under the Iron Sky!

20 Responses to “Iron Sky Theatrical Trailer released!”

1. Wreckie says:

Onnitteluni pitkän urakan päättymisestä jota on ollut ilo seurata kaikkien näiden vuosien ajan. Uusi traileri nosti odotukset toiseen potenssiin ja odotan innolla Suomen ennakkonäyksiä. Toivottavasti Iron Sky menestyy ja on vasta alkua uudelle aallolle uudentyylistä suomalaista tai suomalaislähtöistä elokuvaa jota tulette viemään eteenpäin.

2. JuhaM says:

Congratulations also from me to whole team ! Great job !

3. hedrik says:

Congratulations! See you at Saturday! :)

4. Travis says:

Everything looks great, will this be released on dvd or have a limited showing?

5. Al says:

New trailer looks great. I’ll be seeing it for sure. BTW, B Machine is off of WAT rather than Volk.

6. Al, you are right, my bad. Will fix it!

Travis, we are looking for as wide and as theatrical release as possible. No US deal yet, but you can help and Demand to see Iron Sky: http://www.ironsky.net/site/support/how-to-support/

Thanks everyone else for well wishes!

7. Alex says:

WOW! You got an overall positive article on bild.de! This is the online-branch of Germanys largest tabloid “Bild”. Of course they missed some details (such as the australian-part), but thats normal for “Bild”.
    Also they embedd only an old trailer.
    Nevertheless its an important “advertisement” for your movie!

P.S.: I hate “Bild” and “bild.de” for their bad comments and bad researched articles which often contain lies. But in this case, i appreciate it.

8. Alex says:

Oh, I forgot:

I’ve followed this site, your video-clips, and every step of progress since the beginning. I want to thank the whole team, the investors, and everybody else. You’ve proven that it is possible to make a big movie with small budget (relative to Hollywood). You’ve kept your fans uptodate about the development throughout the last six years. That’s how to involve people! I hope Hollywood learns this lesson soon.

9. Toni says:

Hello Iron Sky team, I have something to ask you:

There is a remix-pack available for the orginal teaser, but now I wonder if Im allowed do a remixes for other trailers too?

Thanks beforehand, Toni.

10. Eko says:

Onnea ja Menestystä…!
    ‘Vanhakin’ nuortui “Iron Skyn” mukana ja
    blogini-kuva tuli Pakkas-Kuuta ihaillessa -

Hyvää jatkoa Eko
    Suomi/Kuusamo/Lapland

11. S. says:

When I saw the new trailer, with the release date something like a week ago, I was pleasantly surprised. Nazi’s who build a moonbase in the shape of a swastika..that sold it to me.

I do hope there will be a broader European release (I added my support, but I still have not received a email as of yet).

12. White Rabbit says:

Don’t watch the movie it’s just race-mixing propaganda.

13. Alex says:

@White Rabbit:

Is your comment irony? What the hell is “race-mixing” ????
    I thought we got over this about 60 years ago!

14. Alex says:

So, a few days after the premiere at Berlinale there is something I have to say:

Your movie got varying critcs in germany, but that was to be expected. Most of us cannot deal with Nazis in a parody. We take it too serious.
    Sorry about that – many critics have not even followed your blog, nor ever reviewed it. They have expected more of a documentary than something like a satire/parody/comedy.

Nevertheless, I will be in cinema when your film is running! You deserve it, even if I come to the conclusion that I expected too much.

I would like to see more critics from outside germany, so maybe this is just a local issue.

Keep us updated!

15. amanfromMars says:

Hi, Timo,

Greetings …….. you have mail …… http://heddinout.com/?p=6131#comment-11647

16. Brian Hawksworth says:

Just cant wait to see this film,when can we expect in in London?I can see it going a storm.
    best wishes Brian.

17. B. Gilbert says:

Hi all;

Was just browsing around Youtube when I stumbled upon your trailer. Have to say I’m very impressed. So your the ones behind that Star Trek/Babylon 5 parody? I absolutely loved it!! If a big time studio can make a movie about a board game (“Battleship”), your movie should do just as well, if not better. ( I loved how you got Sarah Palin as the next president of the US, let’s hope THAT part doesn’t come true. )

18. Huge says:

Mind blowing Hartung auto auction begins; largest sale tops $200k.A few of the most rare state license plates sold in lots for five figures. A set of old Montana plates sold for $26,000, while Illinois plates fetched $29,900.

19. James says:

I love the trailer, really looking forward to this one!

20. ruth murphy says:

I came across this site and I was impressed. It really tells the story of the movie. I have watched the film and it was what it was promised. Great site here!